Teenage Driver’s Contract
DRIVING PRIVILEGES AGREEMENT
Presented by Bruce A. Hagen
I, __________________________, recognizing that my parents are giving me permission
to drive a car, and understanding the awesome responsibility that operating a car entails, hereby
freely and voluntarily enter into the following agreement and understanding.
____ I understand that I am being granted permission to drive. Permission to drive is not a legal
right: It is granted to me by my parents, who are under no obligation to do so, and who may
withdraw the privilege at any time. The State’s role is to determine that I meet the minimum
requirements for a license. I understand that I will only be allowed to drive when I am willing to
abide by the rules and regulations established by my parents.
I recognize that driving a car is a very serious matter. I recognize that…
____ Automobile accidents are the leading cause of death of people 16-20 years old.
____ I am more likely to die in an auto accident than from any other cause.
____ Recklessness or errors that I make while driving could kill or hurt me, passengers in the
car I drive, and/or people in other cars and pedestrians. Among those that could be victims of my
driving mistakes are: Infants, children, my friends, my family members, parents of children, and
____ I will abide by laws regulating driving. I will observe and abide by posted speed limits. I
will abide by rules established by my parents. I recognize these are for my protection and the
protection of others.
____ I understand that the car I drive is property of my parents. Even a car that is a “gift” to me
is still, legally, the property of my parents. I drive the car only with permission.
____ I understand that my parents and I must be able to reach a written agreement in order for
me to be permitted to drive. I understand that the terms of this agreement may be changed based
on how I handle the freedom and responsibility of driving. The rules will get stricter if my
parents judge that I am not doing well. The same rules may get somewhat less strict if my
parents judge that I am doing well.
____ I understand that, until I reach the age of 18, any criminal or negligent acts that I commit
may also lead to personal liability on the part of my parents, including possible incarceration,
financial liability for my recklessness, and other serious consequences that threaten the well
being that my parents have worked hard to achieve.
____I must study and be aware of the terms of this contract. “Forgetting” any part of the
contract is not an excuse.
THREE CRITICAL RULES
– If my parents deny me permission to drive, for whatever reason, I will abide by this
and give them my keys immediately with no argument or debate. I may ask to meet
with my parent(s) no earlier than 24 hours later to talk about it. Refusal to immediately
surrender keys will result in the car being immobilized. This will be done with a steering
wheel lock (“The Club”) or some other method. NO EXCEPTIONS. If my parents
immobilize the car I drive because I did not obey the above rule, two to four weeks will
pass, at my parents’ choice, before any discussion will occur about driving again.
Another incident of failure to surrender keys on demand will lead to indefinite suspension
of driving privileges.
– If I drive in defiance of my parents’ order not to drive, this contract is cancelled and
no driving will be permitted for the next six months.
– If I drive in defiance of my parents’ order not to drive, my parents may call the
These rules, if violated, will lead to indefinite suspension of driving privileges. This is the
most serious set of rules. I understand that I may lose my driving privileges indefinitely if any
one of these is violated even once.
1. No alcohol use/abuse. Even though some minors drink, as a minor, it is illegal for me to drink
alcohol. I understand that my parents do not permit me to drink. However, if I do so, I will not
drive for 24 hours after my last use of alcohol in ANY amount.
2. No drug use/abuse. I will not drive for 72 hours after my last use of any “substance.” In this
agreement, “substance” means any drug or chemical (including but not limited to marijuana,
pills, inhalants, and other drugs) that would be expected by my parents to alter my ability to
drive. There is no acceptable amount of any substance of this kind. If I use any drugs, I will
not drive for 72 hours. This rule may include medications prescribed to me or over-the-counter
medications. In the cases of legal medications, I will inform my parents of any such medications
I have taken so that they can judge whether taking these medications will interfere with my
driving ability. Furthermore:
a. No riding with others who have used alcohol or drugs. I will not ride as a passenger with
any driver who has used alcohol or any substance as defined above. I will not ride with any one
who it would be reasonable to think may have used alcohol or drugs, when I am unsure if they
b. Alternatives to riding with others who have used alcohol or drugs. If I find myself in a
situation as described above, I will contact my parents or another designated adult to arrange for
transportation. I understand that my parents will appreciate that behavior and will make every
effort to avoid asking me a lot of questions about it. My parents have assured me that I may
call them at any time of day or night if I find myself in a dangerous situation of any kind.
c. No alcohol or drugs in car. I will not allow alcohol or illegal drugs in the car. My parents
will hold me responsible for any alcohol or drugs in the car, even if they don’t belong to me or it
is the fault of someone riding in my car. IF IT IS IN THE CAR, IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE
MINE AND I WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.
3. No thrill-seeking/stunts. I will not engage in any thrill-seeking behavior while driving. I will
not drive for recreation. Driving too fast, racing of all kinds, and any kind of “stunt” involving a
car is NOT ALLOWED. Driving is for transportation ONLY.
4. Informing parents about accidents & police encounters. I will inform my parents about any
and all tickets, accidents, and encounters with police.
5. No firearms or other weapons. I will not drive with any guns or other deadly weapons in the
6. No Texting, emailing, or use of a cell phone, PDA, or other handheld device while the car is
moving. If I need to communicate with anyone, I will make sure I am stopped and in a safe
area before making any attempt at using the phone or PDA. I know that the use of these
devices is a HUGE distraction to me and that distracted drivers cause car wrecks.
Violations will lead to suspension of driving privileges for up to three months.
1. Permission to Drive. I must ask permission to drive each time I drive. Exceptions to this rule
will be given for regularly scheduled transportation to school, practice, work, regular meetings,
etc. I will ask permission to drive to specific locations and will discuss the route planned. I will
be certain that my parents know where I am. I will not make unscheduled stops or side trips. I
WILL BE TRUTHFUL AND HONEST WITH MY PARENTS IN MAKING SURE THAT
THEY ARE AWARE OF MY WHEREABOUTS.
2. Curfew. I may not drive after Midnight unless I have specifically obtained permission from
my parents to do so.
3. Limit on passengers. I will abide by State law regarding the number of passengers in my
vehicle. I will also abide by any rules that my parents give me regarding the number of
passengers I may have in that car at any given time.
3. Off-Limit Areas. I will not drive on streets, highways, or in areas that are designated as
off-limits. I understand that greater flexibility in these matters will come as I gain experience and
show that I am honoring the agreement. For the time being, the following roads and areas are to
be avoided if at all possible: I-285, I-85, I-75 and I-20.
4. No one else drives vehicle. I will not permit any other person to drive the car without my
parents’ specific permission for each specific case.
Violations may lead to suspension of driving privileges for up to six weeks.
1.Weather/road conditions. I will respect weather and road conditions, slowing down as
needed for safety. I will contact my parents to discuss bad weather or poor road conditions prior to driving.
2. Emotional upset. Knowing that judgment and driving skills are altered by emotions, I will not
drive when I am upset or angry. If upset, I will contact my parents for transportation and I
reserve the right to maintain my privacy regarding personal matters. My parents agree not to ask
a lot of unnecessary questions.
3. Taking care of vehicle. It is my responsibility to protect the car I drive. I will keep it
reasonably clean and maintained. I have some specific responsibilities regarding the maintenance
of the car as noted below.
4. Passenger behavior. I will not allow my passengers to behave in such a way as to damage the
car or distract me while driving.
5. Seatbelts. I will wear my seatbelt at all times and require all passengers to wear them.
6. Friends ride only with their parents’ permission. When transporting my friends, I will be
reasonably sure that they have their parents’ permission to ride with me.
7. Thank You For Not Smoking. I will not allow smoking in the car. I will not smoke in the
8. No eating & driving. I will not eat while driving.
9. Car audio system. I will be allowed to have the stereo on but will make no adjustments to it
other than changing the volume while driving. Under no circumstances will I change a CD or
cassette or adjust my Ipod while driving. I will change these only when stopped or pulled over.
10. CELL PHONES and Other electronics. Except in the case of a genuine emergency, I will
not talk on the cell phone while the vehicle is moving. Under no circumstance will I send or
read text messages while the vehicle is moving. (Initial here to confirm:_________).
11. No rushing. Accidents are more likely to happen when I rush. I am more likely to rush when
I leave late. Therefore, my parents reserve the right to not allow me to drive unless I leave by a
time they specify. For example, if my parents tell me that I must allow 20 minutes to get to
something that starts at 7:00 , I may not leave later than that. In such cases, my parents will
attempt to provide alternative transportation, to whatever extent possible.
12. Attention to Driving. I will not do things while driving that distract me from the road.
1. Tickets and moving violations will result in suspension of my driving privileges for a period
to be determined by my parents. My parents have no obligation to pay my fines for
2. Financial. I will make certain financial contributions to the purchase of the car, maintenance
of the car, and/or insurance, in a manner deemed appropriate by my parents.
3. Family obligations. I agree to provide transportation to family members at the directive of my
parents. Fulfilling these obligations is a condition of my use of a car. Sometimes these
responsibilities will override my own desires and interests in using the car.
4. General life responsibilities. I agree that I must be responsible to drive safely and that my
parents must believe I am relatively responsible in order to allow me to drive. They may,
therefore, take into account how I handle my general responsibilities, including schoolwork,
athletic participation, employment, household duties, etc. I will also maintain a respectful
attitude. I will not ask my parents to allow me to drive when I am rude and disrespectful to them
or to others.
5. Right to clear expectations. My parents have a right to expect me to be responsible. I have a
right to be told what this means. For this reason, I may ask my parents for clarification of their
requirement that I “be responsible.”
6. Changes in this agreement. I understand that this contract will be made more strict at any
time my parents believe that is the best thing to do. I understand that if I consistently abide by
these rules that my parents will work with me to make the contract less strict as I gain
experience. However, I understand that–bottom line–it is my parents’ choice and responsibility
to change or not change the contract. We will review this agreement and perhaps make
changes to it on _________________________ (insert date six months from date of signature),
or earlier if my parents or I wish to do so.
7. All in the Name of Love. I understand that my parents are not insisting that I sign and
comply with this contract just to make my life difficult. I recognize that my parents love me
deeply and want what is best for me, and that my compliance with this contract will help both
them and me to lead happier and more fulfilling lives.
8. Other. (Insert any specifics as needed)
Summary: I agree to abide by the rules in this contract and I accept the consequences and
penalties if I do not. I recognize my parents’ authority in deciding if I may drive. That authority
is final until I am an adult living independent of my parents.
_________________________________ _________________ (date)
________________________________ _________________ (date)
TELEPHONE: (404) 522-7553 FAX: (404)522-7744 EMAIL: CONTACT THE FIRM